The Belo Foundation, established in 1952, was originally named the G. B. Dealey Foundation in honor of A. H. Belo Corporation's longtime majority owner and founder of The Dallas Morning News. Its name was changed in 1983 to The Dallas Morning News-WFAA Foundation; later it was renamed the A. H. Belo Corporation Foundation and then, simply, The Belo Foundation in 2000. During The Belo Foundation's more than 60 years of philanthropic efforts, it has awarded over $40 million in grants.
The Foundation is funded by an endowment created by Belo Corp. (sold in 2013 to Gannett Co., Inc.) and A. H. Belo Corporation and governed by four trustees who are current or former officers of the two companies. The Foundation makes grants primarily in Dallas, Texas, the city in which the companies were founded.
Areas of Interest
The Belo Foundation focuses the majority of its grant-making on college-level journalism education and the development of urban parks.
Recent Signature Projects: