June 22, 2003
Belo-owned KING 5 and NWCN honored with fourteen regional Emmy Awards
Seattle, WA -- KING 5 was honored with more regional Emmy awards than any other station in the Northwest. Belo's fourteen Emmys were awarded by the Seattle - Northwest chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences at the 40th annual awards ceremony held at the Bagley Wright Theatre in Seattle on Saturday, June 21st, 2003. Highlights include KING 5's Evening Magazine as the most honored local program with eight Emmy's. KING 5 and NorthWest Cable news recipients are listed below:
KING 5 News
* Live Coverage Breaking News Event: KING 5 News Staff, "Tanker Fire"
* Live Field Reporting: Jim Forman, Reporter, "Tanker Fire"
* Investigating News: Susannah Frame, Reporter, Tyrone Maxie, Photographer, Kellie Cheadle, Producer, "Fugitive Aid"
* Live Special Events: Peter O'Connell, Producer, Norm Ohashi, Producer, "Orca Rescue"
* Public Affairs Special or Series: Keven H. Strehle, Producer/Writer/Director of Photography, Blake Hurley, Editor, Tim Jensen, Photojournalist, "The Making of a Hero"
* Informational Children's Segment: Josephine Cheng, Reporter/Producer, Tom Voelk, Photographer, "Born Addicted"
* Entertainment Special or Series: John Stofflet, Producer/Writer/Reporter, Mark Morache, Photojournalist/Editor, Blake Hurley, Editor, "X-TREMELY NEW ZEALAND!"
* Sports Segment: Saint Bryan, Reporter, "Where There's a Will"
* Host/Talent - Non-News: John Stofflet, "To the Ends of the Earth... and Timbuktu!"
* Writer - Non-News: John Stofflet, "To the Ends of the Earth... and Timbuktu!"
* Photography - No Time Limit: Keven H. Strehle, "The Making of a Hero"
* Audio: Keven H. Strehle, Producer/Writer/Director of Photography, "The Making of a Hero"
* Informational Special or Series: Joan Kinsey, Program Producer, Keven H. Strehle, Program Producer, Christopher Topping, Online Editor, "Northwest Backroads: Great Escapes"
* Promotional Announcement: NorthWest Cable News, Leslie Ross, Writer/Producer, "Orchestrating Weather"
About KING 5 TV
KING 5 TV is part of Belo Corp. (NYSE:BLC). Belo is one of the nation's largest media companies with a diversified group of market-leading television, newspaper, cable and interactive media assets. A Fortune 1000 company with approximately 7,800 employees and $1.4 billion in annual revenues, Belo operates news and information franchises in some of America's most dynamic markets and regions, including Texas, the Northwest, the Southwest, Rhode Island, and the Mid-Atlantic region. Based in Dallas, Belo owns 19 television stations (six in the top 16 markets) reaching 13.7 percent of U.S. television households; owns or operates nine cable news channels; and manages one television station through a local marketing agreement. Belo publishes four daily newspapers: The Dallas Morning News, The Providence Journal, The Press-Enterprise (Riverside, CA) and the Denton Record-Chronicle (Denton, TX). Belo Interactive's new media businesses include 34 Web sites, several interactive alliances, and a broad range of Internet-based products. Additional information, including earnings releases, is available online at www.belo.com.