September 28, 2009
WHAS11 Partners with Wazoo Sports to Carry 24/7 Local Sports Channel on WHAS11.3
Louisville, KY - WHAS11 announced its' partnership with Wazoo Sports, a 24/7 Regional Sports Network channel that will be located on 11.3 on the WHAS-TV signal beginning October 30th, 2009. Wazoo has plans to produce as many as 300 live high school or college sports events in the coming year. "In this day when localism in programming is critically important we think Wazoo's plan to televise local sports events and also air great archive materials such as great UK games of the past makes this a unique offering for our Kentuckiana viewers", said President and General Manager Mark Pimentel.
Wazoo Sports has broadcast 325 games LIVE online, while covering over 210 different teams from 23 states since December 2007. In 2008, Wazoo Sports programming covered 195 Kentucky teams in 63 counties across the state. Thirty-six of the games have been on television in FIVE different TV markets, including coverage on NBC, ABC and FOX affiliates.
The Wazoo Sports Network will broadcast NCAA, NAIA and high school football, men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball and more. The programming schedule includes over 350 LIVE games over the next twelve months.
Wazoo Sports will feature twenty-four hour programming with local, regional and statewide appeal. During the next twelve (12) months, Wazoo Sports programming will include:
- Over thirty (30) LIVE Mid South Conference athletic events including Georgetown College, Campbellsville University, Union College, University of the Cumberlands, Pikeville College and Kentucky Christian.
- Twelve (12) LIVE Eastern Kentucky University football & basketball games.
- Twelve (12) LIVE Morehead State men's & women's athletic events.
- Five (5) LIVE Bellarmine University men's & women's basketball games.
- Kentucky State University LIVE football games.
- High School Football LIVE every Friday night from around the state
- Boy's & Girl's High School Basketball LIVE including Select Regional Tournaments.
- College & High School Olympic Sports (men & women) LIVE all year long.
- 200 Classic University of Kentucky Men's Basketball and Football Games from 1951-present.
- Additional programming including coaches shows, game replays & sports magazine shows.
WHAS11 is part is part of Belo Corp. (BLC), one of the nation's largest pure-play, publicly-traded television companies, with 2008 annual revenue of $733 million. The Company owns and operates 20 television stations (nine in the top 25 markets) and their associated Web sites. Belo stations, which include affiliations with ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW and MyNetwork TV, reach more than 14 percent of U.S. television households in 15 highly-attractive markets. Belo stations rank first or second in nearly all of their local markets. Additional information is available at www.belo.com or by contacting Kirk Szesny, Director of Marketing and Creative Services at 502-582-7870.